Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Rich and Satisfying Life!

There are so many voices that we hear throughout any given day. We have of our family, friends, and coworkers speaking to us, but also outside sources from the media and politicians to music, television, and movies. What are we hearing? How is it shaping our lives?

All throughout the Bible are many references to Jesus being our shepherd and those who are Christians- his sheep. John 10 is an example of one. Sometimes it is difficult for me to understand this analogy because I've never been around sheep or shepherds much. From my understanding though, sheep aren't the brightest of creatures- they can be pretty dumb at times. What is interesting though is that they can distinguish between their shepherd and a stranger just by the sound of their voice, and most importantly, they won't follow a stranger only their shepherd. I wonder how much time it took for the sheep to recognize the shepherds voice?

Reading this helps me understand a little bit more about myself and how it relates to my relationship with God. For many years I followed the "strangers" and was left confused and misguided in my life. I got frustrated that my life wasn't full of joy or peace, but hurt and heartache. When I finally surrendered my life to Jesus and had a consistent relationship with Him, my life changed dramatically. One of the most comforting things I've found about Jesus is that when I walk daily with Him, I can hear his voice amidst all of the others. In John 10:14 Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me." When I follow His voice and am obedient to it, I'm filled with peace and joy and hope- much better than the other alternative I had experienced for so long.

John 10:10 is one of my favorite verses in Scripture. It says, "The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life."

I believe this with all of my heart. My life in Jesus is far more satisfying than before. I have also seen that by following the "stranger" (the enemies of God) then my life is headed toward destruction. If you haven't experienced the satisfying life in Jesus, I urge you to take a chance and go for it. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment